U.S. Presidents Swearing Under Oath - Jimmy Carter - NJI Media
U.S. Presidents Swearing Under Oath - Jimmy Carter - NJI Media
The inventor of the web as we know it, Sir Tim Berners-Lee said recently that his next mission was “to bring about world peace”. Seriously. He believes that if people talk to each other, listen and understand each others problems, then they are less likely to shoot each other.
So in order to…
cannot. stop. listening.
or maybe not terribly interesting, but good enough for me to feel compelled to write something about it on tumblr!
after a long and confusing career journey through my 20’s, i’ve arrived at 26 and found my chosen career path: public relations!
i didn’t necessarily need a vocational test (meaning, myers-briggs), but i was really just curious. my mom had actually made the recommendation over Christmas that i check it out (also suggesting to meet men i should go to church).
so, at 9:30 last night, after finishing the 2nd episode into season 3 of Game of Thrones, i arrived at ‘career fitter’ vocational testing.
results: liz is a faciliator. sympathetic! synergetic! other words like upbeat, active, responsible, social, creative and even-tempered also came up.
on the negatives: i enjoy speaking/working with others, but intrinsically assume everyone happens to know what i’m talking about without any rhyme/reason.
Try not to assume that others always understand what you are communicating to them. Remember you are an abstract communicator by nature, and your tendency may be to think that others instinctively know and accept what you are saying; but do not be surprised or offended when your position or beliefs are not comprehended or accepted.
When others are not compelled to receive your ideas, resist the temptation to feel as though you have somehow failed. If someone questions your values or intentions about a matter, remember to not think your honor or credibility is at issue. If your subordinates or co-workers don’t always work as a team, try not to take it personally or feel you have to work twice as hard to get them back in line. In fact, you may likely make others feel that they are not just going against you, but against the ethical integrity of the entire organization. If a problem exists between you and others, avoid your preference to ignore its existence or “sweep it under the rug”, and make a concerted effort to lessen your extreme sensitivity to disapproval and criticism. Finally, when a goal or project is not reached or fails, resist entertaining feelings of guilt, inadequacy or failure.
in the workplace, i need to find inspiration in my day to day to tasks, and for some reason enjoy figuring out how things work just for the sake of knowing.
Get more energized by future possibilities, than what is going on in the here and now.
Juggle and think about many things at once.
Find that you are interested in understanding how things are related and interconnected. You see few things as self-evident, always ready to pose the question “what does that mean?
doesn’t that mean at this point i ask, ‘what does that mean?’
from my point of view, i need to translate my cultural knowledge of washington and the south, hone my specific communications skills that i’ve picked up at my job and settle into the idea that this the correct path for me. own it, liz.
Here are some valentines for the biology nerds. Love to y’all!
hey, come dance with me…
SOPHIE NOTHING MORE TO SAY / EEEHHH (by huntleyspalmers)
Timeless music, timeless fashion: after all the overwhelming feedback from his last mix for Aritzia called “Love Action” (Queen Latifah herself requested a copy when she heard it playing in our Soho store!), Neoteric wanted to follow it up with another mix in a similar vibe.
“Truly some classic material here. A bit cheeky, a lot fun and all put together in a nice little package for you. Hope you enjoy this mix!” - Neoteric
David Bowie - Magic Dance
Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days (Psychemagik’s Leg Warmer Edit)
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
Howard Jones - New Song
Bananarama - Cruel Summer (Swing Beat Dub Mix)
Simple Minds - Don’t You (Forget About Me)
Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You
Level 42 - Lessons In Love
LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Kim Carne - Bette Davis Eyes
Ministry - I Wanted To Tell Her (12” Remix)
OMD - If You Leave
Hall & Oates - Private Eyes
Johnny Hates Jazz - Shattered Dreams
Phil Collins - Sussudio
Denise Williams - Let’s Hear It For The Boy
Talk Talk - It’s My Life
Tears for Fears - Change (New Version)
Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses (Extended Version)
Bryan Ferry - Don’t Stop The Dance
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight
The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
DJ Shadow - The 6 Day War
Progress is not the practice of those in the business of sweeping success. Progress overawes—but its work is slow and grim. Progress waits on people to die, and more enlightened people to take their place. Progress works even as the unenlightened abound, but find their ranks thinned and their positions exposed.
Specifically, democratic progress is not revolution and can never be the gospel of people who measures success by complete victories achieved in singular life-times. Instead it is reserved for those who are unrelenting in struggle, patient beyond their mortal coil, and willing to wage wars across generations.
1. Wiz Khalifa x Phantogram | Move Up
2. Mayer Hawthorne x M83 | One Midnight With You
3. Ma$e x Notorious B.I.G. x Penguin Prison | Fuck With Mo’ Money
4. Kanye West x Snap! | Power²
5. Beastie Boys x Santigold x Weird Tapes | Don’t Play No Trash
6. TLC x Holy Ghost! | Some Creeps
7. Tyga x Neon Indian | Polish City
8. Snoop Dogg x Dillon Francis x Kill The Noise | What’s My Noise
9. The Cool Kids x Ford & Lopatin | World Of Swimsuits
10. Taio Cruz x Foster The People | Houdin-o-mite
11. Only Children x YACHT | Tripped And Didn’t Stop
12. Travis Porter x Daft Punk | Make It Rezz
13. Whitney Houston x Chromeo | When The Night Knows
14. Sisqo x The Rapture x A-Trak | How Deep Is Your Thong?
15. Dragonette x The Kickdrums x Kutcorners | Hello Something
16. Sims x Win Win | Burn It Again
17. YC x Knife Party | Knife Rack
18. tUnE-yArDs x Rihanna | GANGS&M
19. Big Sean x Kanye West x Wolfgang Gartner | The Way Marvin Was
20. Quad City DJs x Deadmau5 | Ride Some Chords
21. Ace Hood x The Black Keys | Hard And Gone
22. Wiz Khalifa x Too $hort x SBTRKT | On My Wildfire
23. Chris Brown x Busta Rhymes x Rustie | Look At My City
24. Flosstradamus x Kid Sister x Symmetry | City Luuks
25. Kreayshawn x Gang Gang Dance | Gucci Goth
26. Wale x Rick Ross x Kavinsky | Nightchain
1. Eating is a submissive act. Assume the chef knows what he does well better than you do and ask for a tasting menu.
2. Avoid menus that try to be everything to everybody. The smaller the menu, the better. The perfect restaurant would only have one dish: “We have ramen noodle soup, but it’s the best damn ramen noodle soup in New York.”
3. Simple is hard to do right. A bad chef with no pride can find a way to fuck up anything.
4. If you see a chicken Caesar, it’s time to get up and run.
5. Forget about eating out on weekends; those are amateur nights. Tuesday through Thursday nights around 9:30 is when you should be going out to dinner—you’re not going to be in the mosh pit with all the people who are in town to see The Lion King.
I would add to this list that the smaller the restaurant, the better.